background

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

HKN - Eta Kappa Nu


I was recently invited to become a part of the BYU chapter of the Eta Kappa Nu Engineering Society. This is a group of "outstanding" electrical and computer engineers who have met the requirements of the group (specifically GPA... which wouldn't have been anywhere close if it weren't for the wonderful 16 credit portuguese test I took last semester!). It was kind of a surprise that I was invited considering I really am just barely starting the program... Anyways, I was inducted into this group and Cassie and I had the chance to attend the induction ceremony/banquet. It was quite the experience. Cassie has been giving me kind of a hard time about the whole thing... and I though I've tried to disagree with Cassie about it, I guess I am an electrical engineer... which makes me an official geek :P Well the banquet proved that a little bit... Especially when the keynote speaker said "You can't spell geek without an EE." Great... Well... He also said that double E's make great husbands, so that's a plus... (except his reasoning was that possibly they didn't have much of a social life, so they do their best when they finally find one...) So, after being inducted and making fun of the whole thing a little bit, I decided to be kind of involved, and so I attended the election meetings for the leadership for next year... And I've now put my foot in my mouth because I left that meeting President of the Eta Kappa Nu BYU chapter. But it didn't really work out how one might expect. Besides some of the leadership from this year, I was 1 of 2 people who were there to participate. Not exactly the biggest showing. So the two of us tried to be extremely passive trying to push the Presidency off to the other one at the meeting. After about ten minutes of this, I was tired and finally just turned to the others there and told them to "just put my name down." Not exactly an election. But... Oh well... It'll look great on my resume, right? Ok, I'm not going to lie, I am kind of excited to do this, because it's finally a chance I have to get involved at BYU. I really haven't done much. So it should be good :) Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that any group would want you. Good job Dallin! I wish you AND Cassie the best of luck.

    Chris says congratulations. I'm not sure he means it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was once the president of HOWDA KAPPA SODA... very rewarding experience.

    love, Christopher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all I can do is giggle to myself....the induction ceremony was a little too much for me to handle and I almost had to excuse myself due to laughing... BUT I think it's great that Dallin is getting involved and I'll support him even if he is the President of the Geeks. :P

    ReplyDelete