background

Thursday, February 24, 2011

New happenings

I know this is super late, but I had to mention the happenings of our Valentine's Weekend.
First I had to add a few more decorations to our home....

Yes, it's made out of cardboard.

Then the festivities began. On Friday night, we had 3 couples over for a Valentine's dinner. We made the entree (chicken alfredo) and everyone else brought something to add to dinner.
Dallin bought these beautiful flowers to "decorate the table." I know it's really because he just wanted to buy me flowers. ;)

We also bought a bunch of candy to decorate the table as is Hague tradition. We will definitely keep that one going! Sorry we didn't get any pictures of the actual table/meal. It was delicious and beautiful. :)

Our Valentine's weekend continued on Saturday when we went to the Stake Valentine's Dance; complete with chocolate fountain and lots of delicious treats to dip. MAJOR FLASHBACK TO HIGH SCHOOL STAKE DANCES! We had SO much fun singing, goofin' off and dancing, especially to Cotten-Eye Joe.

Sunday was one year since this....


We had a great day lounging around, re-reading The Blog (Feb 13th 2010) that started it all, eating a great meal (and candy) and enjoying time together.

Finally came the actual Valentine's Day. Dallin and I celebrated by using his free birthday meal to Tucano's. They had silk tableclothes on all the tables with flowers, ginormous chocolate covered strawberries, a rose to bring home, and a few extra delicious meats to celebrate the day of love. We ate too much, as always. But loved every minute of it!

That brings me to our "new lifestyle." (the term used by my professors.) I have quite a few fun projects in my classes this semester including going on a vegetarian diet, going on a weight-loss program each for about 6 weeks, and getting someone to do them with me (guess who the lucky individual is!!). So I'm killing two birds with one stone and getting both projects done at the same time.

The day after Tucanos was the start of all this madness. For the diet, we are supposed to eat mainly fruit, vegetables, whole wheat and occasional dairy and poultry/eggs. NO red meat, and hardly any sugar. After one day we realized there is not nearly enough food in our pantry that fits the diet so we did some shopping. Now we've got tons of deliciously nutritious foods around our home. YAY! For the weight loss program, we're supposed to do our best to balance how much food we are eating and how much we are exercising. It's started out a little bumpy as both Dallin and I have been sick the last week... but we'll get the hang of it! :)

With the new "lifestyle" I have been doing a lot more cooking. Which I have decided is my new favorite past time... as well as stress management. lol! I have tried lots of new recipes... here's a few of the things we've tried.

-breadsticks

-whole wheat muffins










-baked orange chicken

-breakfast taquitos with homemade whole wheat tortillas










-cilantro lime dressing with bbq chicken salad

-copper carrots

Sorry I didn't get pictures of most things... they were all so delicious that we just couldn't wait long enough to take a picture. ;)

One last bit of news.
Dallin got an internship with this fantastic company


and we will be spending our summer in this beautiful city/state.


Portland, Oregon!

We are so excited and can't wait to get out of Provo for a little while and to be closer to family.

3 comments:

  1. We are DEFINITELY visiting you guys in Portland! Congrats on the internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Dallin on the internship :) Sounds like you guys had a great Valentine's day and that cardboard "Love" is super cute! How did you get the cardboard cut so neat and straight?!

    As a side note, chicken is one of our favorite dishes, so if you want some new recipes for it, I'm sure a large portion of my cooking blog is chicken recipes if you want to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sydney! That would be soo much fun!!! I'm probably not going to have a job or anything so I'll have LOTS of freetime! lol

    Ashley- I actually just used a kitchen knife... I didn't have an exacto knife... but it worked okay.:)And I will definitely be checking out your blog, I'm always up for new ideas and recipes! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete